Thursday, June 26, 2008

Indifference vs Action

Wow. I just finished reading a few essays by Elie Wiesel. I have admired his writing ever since reading Night as a sophomore in high school. He described the events of the Holocaust in such a beautiful, and haunting way, and he has fueled my morbid fascination with the Holocaust. My roommate introduced me to his essays on America, particularly The Perils of Indifference. I finally took the time to read it today, and I recommend giving it a look.

Right now I am reading another book by a Holocaust survivor, Livia Bitton-Jackson, called I Have Lived A Thousand Years. I am not very far in it, but so far her view on the events is interesting. She seems like a very dramatic, and passionate person, yet her description of some of the most emotional events is very detached. However, I'm not sure how you can accurately convey those types of feelings through writing.

There is a sad observation made by both Wiesel, and Bitton-Jackson. They both talk about the reactions, or lack of, from bystanders. It is amazing to me that many of those who saw what was going on did nothing. I can't say that I would have had the courage to do something, but it's just amazing how many people had to look the other way for it to go as far as it did. In The Perils of Indifference Wiesel talks about indifference, and how it can have more harmful effects than hate. He says

"Of course, indifference can be tempting -- more than that, seductive. It is so much easier to look away from victims. It is so much easier to avoid such rude interruptions to our work, our dreams, our hopes. It is, after all, awkward, troublesome, to be involved in another person's pain and despair. Yet, for the person who is indifferent, his or her neighbor are of no consequence. And, therefore, their lives are meaningless. Their hidden or even visible anguish is of no interest. Indifference reduces the Other to an abstraction."
By not acknowledging another, we are basically denying the fact that they exist. It really is much easier to just do nothing, but Wiesel points out why that is more harmful.
"In a way, to be indifferent to that suffering is what makes the human being inhuman. Indifference, after all, is more dangerous than anger and hatred....
Even hatred at times may elicit a response. You fight it. You denounce it. You disarm it. Indifference elicits no response. Indifference is not a response. Indifference is not a beginning; it is an end. And, therefore, indifference is always the friend of the enemy, for it benefits the aggressor -- never his victim, whose pain is magnified when he or she feels forgotten...And in denying their humanity, we betray our own. "
I just think he writes very powerfully. This definitely gave me something to think about. I had never thought about how much harm can be done if we just don't care. Even in our everyday dealings with people it can be important. It makes me want to take more notice, and involvement in other people's lives.
Now that seems depressing, and I'm not sure it will help you any today, but I guess the purpose of a blog is to post what you've been thinking about.

6 comments:

Cierra::The Yellow House said...

It makes me wonder if I would have had the courage to act or if I will now when faced with a tough situation. I love authors that get you thinking. And by the way, how did you fly off that cow without a bruise? It really kicked my trash. :)

Val said...

I haven't read Night yet and it sounds as though I will have to. I went the Dachau camp as a freshmen. It was surreal how heavy and dark the place still feels, even in the bright sunshine, decades later. What was incredible is that the village Dachau just over the wall did nothing to help those in the concentration camp. And they were right there! It is argued that they weren't even aware because of the propaganda, but how could you not know? I think the biggest problem was that they didn't want to know. I hope you like I Have Lived a Thousand Years and the sequels, but yeah her detachment to some subjects was hard for me to understand.

Val said...

ps- I love Jewel

LeanderMan said...

Oooo, now that you started your blog you need to start looking at college advice. I can give you pro help at www.leanderman.blogspot.com, give it a try!!! oh and Lisa congrats on posting photos, i had to teach val

LeanderMan said...

duh... my eight years of experience was grades 1-8... and you come visit me

LeanderMan said...

ps- i dont love jewel